Eye Care Expert Forum
Scar after eye excision surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Scar after eye excision surgery

Im getting a brown spot excised. It's on the sclera of my right eye. The optholomogist says that he has done the procedure many times. I was just wondering if they're is anyway to prevent a scar formation or to at least make it small. Since the spot isn't that big its about a quarter of a peas will the scar be small it big? Any medicine that will reduce the scar. Thank
The body heals an injury or surgical procedure with scar tissue.  Generally on the sclera (white of the eye), this is not very noticeable.  Mitomycin (a chemical used in glaucoma surgery) could be applied at the time of the surgery to help prevent scarring.
Thanks xxx
One more question
The scar won't be bigger than the spot right ??& will the scar fade within time ?