Eye Care Community
Sclera abrasion
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Sclera abrasion

My 3 year old got hit in the eye by a plastic stick and when she looks to the right I can see a small cut. about a quarter of an inch. It bleed for a bit and she seems fine now. But the sclera is split and I am worried. any ideas please
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
The sclera is the white of the eye and if that was indeed split it would be a dire emergency. More likely the conjunctiva overlying the sclera and the tenon fascia underneath are what was cut. If the edges are gaping, there is severe pain, or the eye does not move properly then you will need to have the child seen by an Eye MD or in the ER.

JCH MD
Blank
It must be just the top layer that is cut. The eye moves fine and she is not in pain. Thank yo.
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
Small superfical cuts that do not gape do not need stitches (just like skin cuts).
JCH MD
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank