Eye Care Community
Scleral buckle and vitrectomy recovery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Scleral buckle and vitrectomy recovery

I had a sleral buckle and vitrectomy performed 12 days ago.  I see nearly nothing out of my left eye now, previously corrected with glasses to 20/20.  My vision is dark and I see minimal light and dark shapes moving in that eye.  I can see the shape of my finger at an inch away.  My surgeon said to expect no vision for 30 days gradually increasing to full vision in 60 days.  I have read posts and some are seeing so much better after a short time.  Is it possible that I will have vision returning in 60 days?  The day after surgery when he removed the patch, I could see the blurry doctor, couldn't see his fingers, but it was significantly better than the next day through day 12.  I mentioned this to my surgeon at my 1 week checkup but he did not respond.  

I am 48 years old.  I had never had any eye problems prior to this event.  My surgery was a result of peripheral vitreous detachment with retinal tears.  Within 24 hours of the event, I had in-office laser performed with cryo-freeze for medium sized tears.  After 3 weeks, I began to leak vitreous fluid under the retina which began to block the right side of my left eye vision.  He recommended the sleral band with a vitrectomy and a gas bubble and said this was 90 - 95% likely to restore my vision to corrected 20/20.  

Will my vision truly return as the surgeon predicted prior to surgery? Is he just hesitant to respond since my vision is so bad now or is this normal?  This was to prevent blindness, but I had good vision going into his office the day of my leak.  

Also, my eyelid doesn't open as wide as the right eye.  After reading the blogs, it's likely because my eye itself is smaller in size with the buckle.  Will my opening return to normal?  Will I need physical therapy to open my eye the same size as my other eye?  Is the mismatch opening something we have to accept?  

Thanks for the help!!  I have 2 children that depend on me and I am just concerned about my outcome.  
You vision will recover as the bubble reabsorbs.  You will first start to see objects more clearly up above. The eye appearing small is due to drooping of the eyelid. This is due to the inflammation associated with surgery.  This usually gets better with time.

Dr. O.
Hey Dr. O,
Thanks for the reassurance.  So the substantial decrease in vision after the first day is normal?
thanks again.  
Did anyone else experience this?  Nearly no vision for the first 2 weeks?  Then better?  I am having a hard time seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.  It's very tough to be strong!  Thanks for sharing your good or bad experiences.  
I have had two vitrectomies, and yes, while the bubble is in your eye, you will not be able to see hardly anything, except at just an inch or two away.  It will get better.
Thank you Es98, that makes me feel better.  I didn't think a gas bubble would be hard to see through, but I guess it is!  I almost can't see anything at all, it looks like I'm looking through a thick piece of caramel colored glass.  
I'll sleep, try again day by day.  I appreciate the feedback!  Are you able to see well now?  How long ago did you have your surgery?
I now have 20/20 vision, but only because I did not get the buckle.  You will probably be more nearsighted than before due to having the buckle.  Glasses or contacts can correct that.  My last surgery was 2 months ago.