Eye Care Community
Scratch on eye reopened!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Scratch on eye reopened!

Last August, my friend's lovely monster kitten clawed my eyeball by accident. I was absolutely broke and barely surviving, so I didn't go to a doctor. It healed and was fine, except for a few times when it acted up a little. I quickly learned to rub the eye before I open it in the morning to prevent the next hour from being very painful. So months pass, it still acts up when I forget to rub it, but otherwise it's fine.

Then yesterday, my husband felt like playing around and licked my eyelid. The problem was that he licked it right above where the cut was on my eyeball and it still hurts when anything touches that area. It started to burn and then it felt like I had metal shavings in my eye. I couldn't use my eye for about 2 hours, but then it was fine again. Today I woke up early to get ready for work, and my eye was kind of itchy feeling. I didn't touch it, other than the first rub to make it open, and it was ok for the hour I spent getting ready and showering. I got on the road and was driving for about 10 minutes when suddenly it hit me with so much pain I almost drove off the road. For the rest of today it has hurt and burned, especially when the sun is visible. It's all red, weepy, constantly making tears and feeling like there is debris in it. It feels almost like the cut reopened, but how did it not heal in 7 months? What do I do? I don't have insurance or any real money saved up. I just want the pain to stop or maybe get some advice to help it heal at home. I can't afford a doctor visit right now...
Use the search feature and archives and read about treatment of "recurrent corneal erosions" which your injury sounds like. Also go to the blog of John C. Hagan III MD and read the posting there about treatment of recurrent corneal erosions.

JCH MD