Eye Care Expert Forum
Scratched Eye and wearing contacts

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Scratched Eye and wearing contacts

I scratched my eye this evening taking off my contact.  I now have a red "blood spot" on the white part of my eye, however, I have no pain and no vision problems.  I need my contacts to drive and must go to work over the weekend while my Dr.'s office is closed.  Is it o.k. to put a contact on this eye?

Thanks so much for your assistance, it is greatly appreciated!

Denise0101
If you have pain or discharge or blurred vision I would leave the contact out and see an ophthalmologist.  If the eye feels great, sees normally and everything is OK except for a small bloody red spot on the white of the eye like a small hemorrhage, you might be able to wear your contact but, of course, I am not there to look at you.  Use your judgement and if you have any discomfort or pain, or vision loss, see ophthalmologist right away and don't use contact.

MJK MD
This happened to me before.  The redness will usually go away in the next few days or so.  It is not a good idea to wear your contacts until then. (I know, I know, I totally hate wearing my ugly thick glasses but got to do the right thin).  Best of luck!