Eye Care Community
Secondary Cataract

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Secondary Cataract

I recently had a cataract surgery and almost immediately I am experiencing the symptoms of secondary cataract -  blurred and cloudy vision, Can secondary cataract develop immediately after the removal of the cataract or do I have something else? Was the cataract not completely removed or is the lens not properly positioned? The operated eye used to see much better than the other eye before the surgery but now I have to rely on the unoperated eye to move around as everything beyond a distance of 1 meter is blurred. Also I now have double vision as each eye sees quite differently. On the positive side I can read without glasses through the eye that has been operated upon though with some difficulty because of the ouble vision. I would appreciate answers to these questions as my doctor does not seem to be aware of secondary cataract.
1. Sometimes the posterior capsule is cloudy already when surgery is performed.
2. Can't tell on IOL position or removal
3.If you can't get answers from the surgeon get a second opinion from another eye surgeon.

JCH MD
Would I benefit from the laser surgery treatment for secondary cataract?
Only a real in person exam by an Eye MD could tell you for sure.

JCH MD
I finally had the YAG laser treatment some 3 weeks ago and can only notice very slight improvement. I do not know whether the improvement I notice is due to the YAG laser treatment or just a continuation of the gradual very slow improvement in my binocular vision. The vision in my left eye is still blurry.

Do I need a second laser treatment?
Or would my vision improve with time?
Is it possible for the doctor to see whether a hole was actually cut? He only make about 4 or 5 clicks and the whole procedure lasted about 2 minutes at the most.

Thanks for your help.
1. It's unlikely you need a second Yag laser.
2.The maximum improvement with Yag laser is usally seen within 72 hrs
3. Yes we can see the hole being cut and that's why #1 above is true.
4.My strong advise would be to get a second opinion on your problems for a different ophthalmologist.

JCH MD
I just had yag surg for secondary cataracts  can I wear my contacts immediately
We advise our patients to wait till the following day.

JCH MD