Seeing 2 black dots connected by a blurred black/grey line
In September 2009, I was sitting in a college course and all of the sudden I started to see two black dots, that are connected by a very blurred black/grey line. Depending on the lighting of my enviorment, it can be very thick and black, or very light colored and blurred. The line that connects the two dots seems slight bent upward. I first thought this was due to stress because I am carrying a lot on my plate as a college student. However, as my stress level decreased, the problem was still consistant, and got to the point where I started to get headaches from it. In November, I finally got some money (I dont have health insurance) and went to a doctor. I was given an eye exam and it was determined that I had perfect vision in my right eye and almost perfect in my left eye. The doctor also took x-rays of my eyes and found that there was a black smudge on my optic disk. However, I have no problems with my right eye, it's my left eye that is seeing the black spots. The doctor did not find any floaters and could not determine what was wrong.

I don't get headaches that much from it anymore because I have learned to ignore it. But it still gets annoying sometimes and I am wondering if this is something major.

I am taking two prescriptions; Effexor XR (150 mg) and Adderall XR (35mg), I have been taking these for seven years, so I don't think that my eye issue is related to them.

Please help!!

Thank you,
You should not have left until you had a reasonable explanation of the cause. Statistically the most common cause would be a vitreous floater that is too small for the eye md to see but large enough for you to see

JC HDML
Thank you for your quick response! Is there any way to get rid of them without having to go to a doctor? How serious are floaters...could I lose my vision?
Use the search feature and archives to read about vitreous floaters and posterior vitreous detachment. No one cannot get rid of floaters but they often drop to the bottom of the eye and are not seeen or the brain tunes them out. Be sure you've seen a ophthalmlogist Eye MD
JC MD