Eye Care Community
Seeing Patterns when Awakening at night

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Seeing Patterns when Awakening at night

Upon awakening at night, I see a grid pattern, black, once red,   The size of the grid can be a small spot on the ceiling or becomes larger and covers the whole ceiling.  The tv is on and provides some light in the room.  After blinking a few times, the pattern goes away.   The pattern is more frequent and has increased in size over the past year.  The eye dr. said he never heard of anyone seeing this and felt there was no retina detachment.  
You need to see an Eye MD. I suspect you saw an optometrist (non-MD). Find an Eye MD at www.aao.org  or if you saw an Eye MD find a neuro-ophthalmologist near you for a second opinion.

JCH III MD
As posted in another thread:

I've been seeing multi colored grid lines upon waking from sleep for the past several months. The lines usually alternate between red, blue and yellow and can be either very, very dull or very prominent. Yesterday morning they were the most pronounced I've ever seen them while this morning they were almost impossible to see. The lines typically fade away within 5 minutes of waking up.

My eye exams come up clean and so my opthamologist feels its related either to anxiety or depression. The problem is I'm not even remotely depressed and when I see the grids I'm waking from a dead sleep so anxiety seems like an odd fit.

Although none of my physicians agree with my theories I'll offer them up anyway:

1. It's possibly related to sleep depravation or a sleep disorder. I have a wide array of visual problems (dry eyes, flashing lights, halos, flickering, etc) and the severity of these problems varies widely. What I've found is that taking naps during the day (schedule permitting) and forcing myself to sleep longer hours seems to temporarily lessen the symptoms. Conversely my symptoms are most pronounced in the middle of the night when I'm woken up form a dead sleep.

2. There could be an inflammation component. If I experience the symptoms during the day and take an anti-inflammatory medication the symptoms will temporarily diminish. I'm certain that my opthamologist feels this is a psychosomatic reaction but I also suffer from arthritis and my eyes do have a continuous dull aching pain.

Of course you can't simply discount depression or anxiety (the favorite diagnoses of physicians everywhere) as they could play a significant role here. I'm just trying to give you some feedback from my own personal perspective.
-
I wake up and it looks like I can see my glasses on my face, like the rims, but then shortly after arising this image disappears. I often reach for my glasses thinking I fell asleep with them on.  What could cause this?
Thank god I am not the only one!!!  I also get laryngeal spasms and only a quarter of the time they are related.....usually its just being woken up from a deep sleep.  It lines, or other things.....and sometimes it complete blurriness.  Last night I woke up confused and had to crawl out of my room because I could no see right to find my husband.  But if I am awoken in a very deep sleep, I wake up confused...but only very seldom.
Also I found this: http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/309/main.htm  Central Serous Retinopathy (CSR)
Oh and the term is called metamorphopsia I think.
  I have experienced (far too often) this grid pattern, but never in color. Last night was the worst. I woke at 4 AM (trip to the potty) and the grid was VERY pronounced. When I reached for my water on the night stand, my hand made the grid change, like it was moving WITH the movement of my hand, like a blanket laying across onjects would follow a pattern of ups & downs, ins and outs. When I withdrew my hand the grid pattern returned to looking 1 diemensional. I have searched quite a lot today & this is the 1st page I have found about this, yet there seems to be no answers. Any news from anyone?
Linda Anderson
***@****