Eye Care Community
Seeing dark flash Spot in lower Peripheral vision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I had laser surgery 2 days ago to correct a small tear in my retina of my right eye. The retina specialist gave me what I believe to be the numbing drops no more than 2-3 minutes before he started the procedure. During the procedure I could feel very uncomfortable stinging in the back of my eye along with the pressure from him holding the lense in my eyey. I was also seeing very bright Red, White and I belive Green lights when he used the laser. I'm pretty sure I was holding my breath at times to try and subdue the pain, not once did he ask my comfort level and if I needed time to rest. Immediately after the surgery he gave me a kleenex to wipe the gel form my eye and given a piece of paper to give to the receptionist to schedule another appointment 6 months later. While at the receptionist desk I got very light headed and passed out, hit my head on the wall and put a hole in the drywall. I was incontinent which lead them to believe that I had a seizure after fainting. I had a CT scan which came back good and I'm waiting on the results of an EEG. I have history or fainting or seizures and no family history either. The ER doctor said that it was a coincidence that I had the laser surgery before I fainted and that I would have had a seizure that day no matter what. That's hard for me to believe. Now I'm seeing a dark spot in my lower peripheral vision of my right eye, I quit taking the anit-siezer meds that the ER doctor prescribed me because they make me very tired, dizzy and overall loopy feeling. I'd just like to know if the flash in my vision is from the laser surgery and if it will go away, and if the fainting and supposed seizure was induced from the surgery also and not just a coincidence?
You do not need to put up with indifference on the part of the surgeon. You need to get back in to see him/her and discuss your problem. I think its very likely you had a reaction to one of the dilation drops either cyclogyl or mydricyl.    Or you may have had a "vaso-vagal" reaction from pressure on the eyeball or the fear/pain.

The surgeon should be very concerned about any fainting that occurs while you're under their care.

We have had people faint in our office just checking the pressure.

JCH MD
Do you think I could have got a concussion from hitting my head on the drywall that the ER may have not noticed on the CT results? I ask because I get infrequent headaches, a little dizzy at times and a bit sick feeling. Maybe I just need some fresh air. I'm used to working out every other day and they told me not to do any driving or workouts until after I get the EEG results from the neurologist.
It's unlikely you have residual effects from a concussion causing the spot you notice.
JCH MD