Eye Care Community
Seeing double with new glasses

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Seeing double with new glasses

I have fairly good vision in one eye and pretty bad vision in the other, I just got new glasses and now anything that isn't in the center of my vision I see double of.
If I'm looking at my computer screen my keyboard looks double.
Without glasses this problem is barely noticeable to me.
Also, when I wear my new glasses, everything seems a bit disorienting and my depth perception seems off.
Are these all just side effects from having new glasses and will they go away?
Take the glasses back to where they were made and discuss the problem. If they can't fix it (at no cost to you) then see the "eye doctor" that did the test. Ask for a glasses recheck appointment. Clarify the costs. Most ophthalmologists do not charge to retest the glasses. Fall back position is ask for your money back it the problem persists. You usually have to do this in the first 30 days. Clarify that also

JCH MD
Dr. Hagan has given you some excellent suggestions.  It's likely that having one eye with fairly good vision and the other with vision that is "pretty bad" is what's causing your problem with your glasses.  By making adjustments to the way the lenses are made (i.e., adjusting the center thickness, vertex distance, base curves), problems with double vision can usually be avoided.  Perhaps your eye doctor didn't give any special instructions to the lab about how your lenses should be made.  (Experienced eye doctors might be more knowledgeable about this.)  You should absolutely not be charged to have your glasses rechecked and the lenses remade.  In the future, you might want to see only experienced eye doctors.  Wearing contact lenses is another way to avoid the possibility of double vision.  
-