Seeing halos and long rays of light at night
I had cataract surgery October 15, 2007.  No problems until November 15, 2007 when at night I started seeing halos around headlights with long slender rays of light coming from the headlights.  On a divided highway, the rays will come across my line of vision and I cannot drive at night.  I even have problems driving in town at night as the long rays and the halo from the car lights bother me.  Also when the long thin rays and the halos come toward me, I think the road is curving and when the car passes, I can see the road does not curve.

Halos were present  before the IOL but the long thin rays were not.

The lenses is AcrySofIQ,  model number SN60WF , power  19.0D,

Please advise what is causing my problem and what can be done to correct this problem?  

Go back to your surgeon for a repeat examination. could be cloudy posterior capsule, IOL could be out of position, could be totally new problem, could be need change of glasses.

JCH III MD
Hello. My daughter has the same problem as you do. It all started back in January, and she was at school, watching a play. She saw lines, that she claims she could see through, coming from the lights. She got freaked out, called home, and we went to the eye doctor ASAP. We took a eye exam, they looked deep through her eye, yet nothing was wrong. Retina was pink and healthy. Nothing to be seen, and no eye floaters. She still has them to this day, and she hasn't spoke about them for a while, but does every once in a while. She says she sees them while watching tv, driving at night, from any lights with a very bright light, and basically everything that includes a light. She has 2 pairs of glasses. One is to strong, and the other, to weak. We are trying to go back to the eye doctor to fix the prescription, but haven't found enough time to do so. Please tell me if you know what this problem is. Thank you for your time and help.
Thank you for your reply.

I have been for repeat examination by the surgeon and he tells me that the IOL is in the correct position.  He also states that he can not understand what is wrong and he has never heard of this problem before. The doctor has never mentioned a cloudy capsule.

This problem happened before getting glasses.
I  have 20/20 vision now with glasses.

Is there a remote possibility that the IOL could be defected?

I  have astigmatism which I had before surgery and after surgery, it is almost identical. Would Lasik surgery to try to eliminate astigmatism alleviate the problem.

Fifteen years ago, I developed a muclar hole in the other eye so I only have one good eye.  So you can see I am concerned about my good eye in which the IOL was implanted.

Should I seek another opinion?

I really appreciate you trying to help me with this problem.

IF the glasses corrected the problem its not really a problem. If the problem persists even with glasses then yes I would get a second opinion. Find an Eye MD near you at www.aao.org

JCH III MD
I have Fuchs' corneal dystropjy, which causes me to see haloes and starbursts at night, making driving difficult.

Sometimes if cataract surgury is done on a Fuchs' patient without taking special precautions, it can accelerate Fuchs' symptoms. I hope that this is not your problem.
--------------------