Eye Care Community
Seeing halos around lights

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Seeing halos around lights

I began seing halos around lights just today, never before.  And it is only in my right eye.  My vision doesn't seem blurred, but slightly less acute than usual.  I have no other symptoms of any kind.  Of possible interest, I have recently been under a doctor's care for weakness in one leg;  and I am diabetec, non-insulin dependent.  Is this an acute emergency?  If it helps, the image is like that of a candle flame, rounded under the light and tapering upwards to my left.

This discussion is related to Halos Around Lights.
Its usually not an emergency but something that demands to see an eye MD ophthalmologist.  Could be needing glasses, cataracts, corneal disease, retina problems macular problems.

Find one at www.aao.org

JCH III MD
ive been having halos around lights at night and ghousting in the day... i wear contacts for 6 years slept in them often.  I went to the eye dr. and got new contacts thinking that was the problem of the halos.  The didnt find anything after three visits in in matter of a week. he even did a corneal check.  He did mention my tear breakup was quick or something.  My eyes where always a little red but i never worried about it because i slept in them. I would just change them every two months.. I know this is bad! They dnt feel dry or itchy just the halos and ghosting.  IS this a eye problem or a something serious... Please help DR!
1. Stop wearing contact lens.
2. Schedule a visit with a corneal Eye MD ophthalmologist in about 4-6 weeks.

JCH MD
why 4 to 6 weeks
To let your eyes recover from the effects of the contacts.

JCH MD
Hi i have been having pain in my eyes when i sleep, i had a virus in my eyes 5 months ago, i have blurred vision in the morning and i have been seeing large red circules around lights, i also wake up with mucus on the white of my eyes
I'm 14 and I see halos around lights but only around bright street lights!!!! at night car headlights look normal no halo or light around idk what to do!! Is this normal??? I also have a lazy eye and wear glasses I don't know if this has anything to do with it???? I made an appointment to the optometrist but it's till October what if it worsens by then??? Help me please!!
It is highly unlikely that the halos around street lights are a sign of anything serious and I would stop worrying about them. The glasses themselves can create a halo effect from normal optical abberations.

JCH MD

Mellie59 you need to see an ophthalmologist   Ask your family doctor for a referral

JCH MD