Eye Care Community
Seeing jagged lines
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Seeing jagged lines

I am a 26 year old male, and within the past 4 or 5 months I have noticed that numerous times a week, when I wake up in the morning, I see jagged lines flash across my vision, then quickly disappear.  They are black and look like a map of rivers.  I've closed one eye at a time, and it happens in both eyes.  I also occasionally see a symmetrical grid superimposed over my vision, like an afterimage, as if I'd been staring at a black grid and then looked at a white surface.  I have also noticed an uptick in floaters and spots of color that appear and disappear, usually purple, sometimes green.  I have no history of eye problems.  As a graduate student I have terrible insurance and would thus have to pay out of pocket for any vision expenses, so I am asking here before going to see a professional.  Do I have anything to worry about?  Is this normal, or should I go see a doctor immediately?  I have not been able to find anything else online regarding the jagged lines and grid I see in the morning.  Thanks.