Eye Care Community
Seeing rings of light when going to sleep w/ eyes closed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

This has happened to me for a long time, and I never really thought much about it. But when I go to bed at night, after being in a room that had lights on, I'll see moving rings of light sometimes. Usually I just have to open my eyes for a few seconds and it will stop. If I focus on it I can seem to notice it even more. It doesn't happen every night, but here and there. I've also had it happen in the morning, my room semi-dark. I'll wake up for a second, roll over and close my eyes again. Only to see these moving rings of light and sometimes spots.

Just curious if this is normal? It happens with both eyes, and I've had a normal eye exam this year. I am prone to ocular migraines, is that something related? Thank you!
Seeing swirling lights in a dark room with your eyes closed can be perfectly normal. This can be one of many "entopic phenomena" which are benign. Some patients who are over 60 who have poor circulation may see "visual hallucinations" of lights even in bright daylight. Also, when they awaken in the morning, they may see a "dark spot" on the ceiling until they sit up when it disappears almost immediately. There are also many drugs which cause "lights" in your vision as well as migraine.
Avatar n tn
Thank you so much, I had no idea what would cause it. I'm 30, and in fairly good health, so hopefully it's just entopic phenomena!
During the last one year, i saw sometimes symmetrical design of dots or some words or a black blob traveling up the wall and disappear.This happened sex or severely times.
lessor iridotomy was done three years before to prevent glucoma. this procedure caused a lot of pain the next day. I was put on pillocarpin drops and some anlagesic for few days. now i am asked to check on Amsler grid to see if there is a distortion in viewiong the grid in lines or sqares. wnen this happens i had to see retina specialist. I am having dry AMD. I am useng magnifying flass alon with my usual spects.
My question is whether my problem AMD and seeing these design is because of Lessor therapy? This is a persistent question in my mind. Amsler Grid test is normal so far.Pleas give your observationn.