Eye Care Expert Forum
Severe Eye Burning

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Severe Eye Burning
I've been having severe eye burning periodically for the past two weeks. It starts off as my eyes turning red, and then it feels as if someone has poured ammonia into them. It has gotten so painful that I can hardly see. But it only lasts for about 10 minutes at a time (once per day, or every other day). As qucikly as it appears, it disappears. After it goes away, it seems as if nothing has happened and my vision is fully restored. I have no clue as to why this occurs, and it only happens in the evening. What is causing this?
The most likely culprits would be dry eyes, corneal problems, allergies, eyelid abnormalities.  You do need to see an MD eye physician-ophthalmologist.

Find one at www.aao.org

JCH III MD