Eye Care Community
Severe excessive blinking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Severe excessive blinking

I can't say how long this problem has been going on for but at least I would say a year or two to the point where it is at now. I'm 21 but I think I've known since I was in my early teens that I did blink a little more then usual. Early on, I think it had to do with nervousness more than anything. Now, I'm not a nervous people anymore but yet more and more, it seems as if I have to blink all the time and its not just a blink, it's more like a blink/squint together. I may have to do that 2-3 times in a few seconds to relieve whatever is going on. I don't like wearing contacts but I notice that glasses don't usually help the problem. My parents have been getting on me the past year or so about the blinking and they always say "Relax" and I just say back to them ooookkkk. It's not that easy because part of me feels like I can't control it. But, another part of me does.

For example, typing this paragraph, I probably only blinked a few times but yet when I think about blinking, it makes me want to do that deep blink/squint that I find myself doing a lot. It's kind of annoying because I'll be eating with people and be fine, and then again, I'll think about my eyes and next think I know I feel like compelled to blink/squint a few times then maybe throw in a few more normal blinks in a row after the initial larger blink. I'm at the point in my life where I need to find out whats going and I'm scared a little bit. People like me and I have a lot of friends but deep down I know they are always saying to themselves, "man why does he blink all the time." Going into the real world soon, I don't feel like I can perform an interview without a good amount of these blinks being thrown in there and I know that doesn't look good. With that said, once i a while I will notice that until I think about blinking, I never have a problem with these excessive blinks. I don't know what to do and if anyone could help me, it would be much appreciated.
You should approach your problem by having a respected Eye MD physician (ophthalmologist) do a complete comprehensive medical eye examination on you. You should share your concerns as outlined above. As the Eye MD to rule out blepharospam which is a different entity than a nervous "tic" or mannerism.

Blepharospasm is a condition in which the muscle that shuts the eye repeatedly spasms. It generally just affects one eye and does not increase if a person is nervous. It is treated with Botox injections.

If the eye examination is normal you may want to consider seeing a psychiatrist. Most of these are "tics" and mannerisms. They run the gamut from something that is not even a problem to big problems to Tourett's Syndrome that can be incapacitating.

Many tics benefit from insight therapy or mile muscle relaxants or anti-anxiety drugs.

Go to this site to learn more:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tic
JCH III MD      

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who has this problem.  You explained my blinking problem right to a T.  I thought I was going crazy.  I just seen a psychiatrist about it.  He said to go to a optomologist.  Good luck.  
-
I have this exact problem consistent with the deep eye blinking that increases when i think about it.  Have either of you found a solution for this problem or a hint towards a diagnosis?  
-
i have had this problem for about 12 years. i'm 37 and have seen several doctors for what you describe. where i can connect is the "thinking about it" part of the symptoms. just as i'm typing this i wasn't blinking hard (that i noticed), but as i started thinking about it, the deep hard squints came on. of course, the more i think about it the more prevalent it becomes. other than thinking about it, my other trigger is tiredness. the less sleep i get the worse it is. i've seen everyone from my general doctor, allergist, optometrist, ophthalmologist,  neurologist and a psychiatrist. for several years everyone thought it was blephoraspasms. however, the psychiatrist recognized it as a mild form of tourett's. at first i didn't want to believe her due to the stigma of tourett's and a bit of denial that i could have such a thing. however, she was finally able to get me to understand that it's basically a tic that i have. one thing i tried several years ago that seemed to help, but not cure, was acupuncture. it was very relaxing and seemed to help for a day or two. of course i would still have my days, but it seemed to be making slow but steady progress. i ended up stopping the acupuncture as it became costly and too hard to keep the frequency with my schedule at the time. it is something i'm considering going back to now, though.
i am currently experiencing that kind of irritable blinking eyes deeply,,i dont know also what to do,,im always praying just to conquer that kind of mannerism,,its almosyt the same with ur situation too,,i want to conquer and overcome my mannersim pls.help me too.