Eye Care Expert Forum
Severe pain behind eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Severe pain behind eye

My husband (who is 29 also) had a severe eye pain behind his left eye that lasted a little over a week.  It was controllable with OTC pain relievers.  On Saturday night it moved to behind his right eye.  This pain is worse behind the right eye than the left and is not controlled by OTC medicines.  He went to the ER last night for the pain, as he is not one to get headaches or pain behind the eyes.  They ran a catscan and told him everything was fine and he was probably having a migraine.  They gave him Torodal (not sure of the spelling) at the hospital and a prescription for Vicodin.  He took the Vicodin in the middle of the night.  When he woke up, he felt better.  However, about 2 hours later, he was very nauseated and felt like he was going to pass out.  The pain behind the eye was back and not getting any better.  The ER doctor told him to follow up with the family doctor if it didn't get any better.  I did call the dr today, but she wasn't in. I have migraines, and have never had any pain behind my eye.  He said it's not really a headache, just a severe stabbing behind the eye.  His eye is red, droopy, and swollen.  There is no history of migraines in his family, and he rarely has headaches.  This has all been going on for about 2 weeks.  We have tried hot and cold compresses on the eye, and it has not helped.  Is there anything else we can do?  What could be the cause of the pain?

Thank you very much!
I strongly recommend you have him see an ophthalmologist tomorrow for a complete evaluation.  There are many different eye conditions that could be to blame for his headaches.  So it is VERY IMPORTANT to have him seen by an ophthalmologist right away.

Michael Kutryb, MD
I had really bad pain behind my eye lastnight and I could'nt sleep the pain was making me feel like I was going to be sick and I started getting tingeling and numbness in my fingers, what could be the cause of this?

Tracey
Sounds like you BOTH need to get in to see a good eye Dr (not just optician or optomitrist, but an MD) asap.  I have had assorted eye problems for many years, and I can tell you what may seem like 'just a headache' could be something with your eye(s). Do NOT wait.  Time is always important, and the sooner you see an expert, the sooner you have a chance for positive treatment.  
Thanks for the great advice.  Sometimes you just have to get these things checked out in person.  This can be serious stuff and it's not a good idea for us to just speculate and guess what it might be.

MJK MD