Severely swollen eyelid
My daughter was fine one day and the next woke up with her right eyelid so swollen that she can barely open her eye. We took her to the docter and they say the eye itself is fine, but that she just has a swollen lid. Antibiotics were prescribed along with Benedryl. It has been 3 days now and so far the medicine hasnt touched it. She is just as swollen as ever and now it is red to go along with it. She is devestated, hurting, and there is nothing I can do for her. The docter seems to be clueless as to what is affecting her. Does anyone have any ideas what this might be? I am concerned not only for her vision, but also for any scarring on sagging that might result. We are giving the medicine twice a day and also washing the eye with baby soap and water about 5 times a day. She also has found some measure of comfort using a warm compress. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Heather
What type of doctor did you see? She needs to see an ophthalmologist to be sure she doesn't have an orbital cellulities. If she runs a high fever or seems quite ill go to the ER. If she's not seeming real sick but just not getting any results to the eyelid have her see a Eye MD tomorrow for sure. Find one near you at www.aao.org or ask your pediatrician to refer you tomorrow.

JCH MD