Eye Care Community
Shadows in the eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Shadows in the eye

This is such a difficult thing to explain, but I'll do my best. Been to an opthamologist, everything's fine. Even when I went, I had been seeing this shadow thing, but she didn't find anything out of the normal in my eye and a lot of different tests were done, because it was my first time ever seeing an opthamologist.

When I look at an item and start moving my head to the left and right, while keeping my eyes fixed on the item (or wall), I see a small shadow that comes in to the middle of my vision. It looks like a small box with a crescent moon shape next to it and this happens in both eyes. Im young, so somehow retinal detachment sounds very unlikely...Especially because I've been to an opthamologist already...So could this be a simple floater, or should I go to another opthamologist again? (my eyesight is good too)

I've had this shadow-thing in my eyes for 5months now and it hasn't changed nor gotten bigger. I just notice it easier now, because I know it's there...:( (if it was retinal detachment, wouldn't the shadow have covered my eyes already?????)
A retinal detachment doesn't really cause those types of symptoms and also should have been visible to the Eye MD that checked you.

A very small floater, too small for the Eye MD to see could be located just in front of your retina and could cause those symptoms. We cannot see each and every floater that people see, we can just see the larger ones.

Unless something changes I doubt seeing another Eye MD would be productive.

JCH III MD