Eye Care Expert Forum
Sharp pain followed by red spot inside lower eyelid

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I was just sitting and relaxing this morning when I experienced sudden, sharp eye pain.  It was gone about as quickly as it had come and was followed by about a minute of tearing from the eye (right eye).  I looked at the eye about 20 minutes later and although there isn't any redness or visible irritation, there is a prominent red, "blood" spot when I pulled down my lower lid on the lid itself.  There are actually two. One is at the end of a vein and the larger one just sits there on its own.  I don't have any pain or tearing now nor any symptoms of headache, etc.  Is this fairly normal and what should I watch for in terms of seeking medical treatment?

THANK YOU!!!!
If there is no persisting pain and no reduction of vision and a bright red spot(s) on the eye then the cause is usually a subconjuctival hemorrhage. These are common and not serious. If however you are on strong blood thinners like coumadin then you need a blood INR test to be sure the blood is not too thing

JCH IIMD