Eye Care Expert Forum
Sharp sting then blood shot eyes from water?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I was flushing my eyes out with bottled water (not tap water) ,i placed the bottle into my eye socket then I tilted my head back so the water would go into my eye ,everything was going well i had no pain or stings then about 20 seconds into doing it I felt a really sharp pain in the corner of my eye (the corner close to your nose) ,I was then left with really bad blood shot eyes ,could the water have caused the pain and blood shot in my eyes?
First of all, why were you rinsing your eyes with bottled water?  Although we drink it, bottled water is not sterile.  Certainly if something like dust or sand got in your eye and all you had was bottled water, then by all means flush your eye with it.  If you need a drop for dry eye, there are many over the counter drops which are comfortable, safe, and soothing:  Systane, Refresh, Blink, Optive.  Perhaps the edge of the bottle irritated your eye and caused the redness.  If your symptoms do not improve, see an ophthalmologist for evaluation.