Eye Care Community
Shimmering spots in vision!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Shimmering spots in vision!

Hello! Over the past 5 weeks I have been to several doctors, with what started out to be severe allergies and acid reflux. Being someone whom hates medication, I have taken everything from nexium, inhalers, claritin d, prednisone, nasonex and more to relieve the symptoms I was having (inflamed sinuses, tightness in throat, difficulty breathing).

Now 2 weeks ago I was starting to feel a little bit better and after laying outside I stood up and had monetary blindness for about 5-10 seconds. I panicked a little bit because it seemed longer than the usual sitting to standing, outside to inside feeling you normally get with your eyesight adjusting. Later that night I was watching television and noticed that the walls seemed to be shimmering and thought I was just exhausted and went to bed.

Now 10 days later I am still seeing this "shimmering" in my vision. I notice it more on solid walls, the sky, blank colors. At night it gets very noticeable in the dark to the point and I even see them with my eyes are shut. When I look at it closely, they seem to be small see-through specs that shimmer with random ones flashing here and there.

I've been to an eye doctor who said everything looked normal, I have 20/20 vision and no floaters or visual snow and he thought it was probably a reaction to all the medications I was on, or migraines (which I've never had before), but should only last a few days. Well after a few days of it not going away I had a brain MRI, which all came out normal and my neurologist said to see a neuro-opthalmologist because migraines shouldn't last this long? I have made an appointment but why would I now have visual problems after what was supposedly sinusitis and acid reflux?

I have had a ct scan of my sinuses which should be coming back soon, but could pressure behind my eyes cause this??

I do have extremely low blood pressure that runs in my family, so could it be the medications caused it to be extremely low? But would it actually cause ongoing shimmering spots in my vision??

I am honestly just clueless at this point to what it could possible be and am getting scared that I will never see normal again. Please let me know what you think, I would appreciate any helpful ideas on what it could be or what to do! Any advice PLEASE :)
First of all given the work up you've had its unlikely that you have anything serious. YOur next step as your neurologist told you is to see a neuroophthalmologist. Ask the neurologist to referr you.

JCH MD
Thank you. Do you have any idea of what could be the cause of the shimmering vision?
Likely possibilities: atypical migraines, atypical seizure disorder, intraocular problem like vascular occlusion.

JCH MD
I realize this is an old post. Did you get any sort of resolution regarding your vision?
That person has not posted anything since 2011. You might want to start your own discussion thread.

JCHMD