Eye Care Expert Forum
Shingle long term nerve pain around eye and eyebrow

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I have had post herpatic neuralgia nerve ending pain for the past four and one half years in the inside corner of my left eye, the entire left eyebrow area, left forhead and a section of my scalp.  This of course occurred after a bout with shingles (my first and only) The pain starts in my left eyelid and continues up into my eyebrow, forehead and scalp in about a 2 1/2 " wide path that goes up to the upper center of my scalp.  The pain never stops.  My question.  Is there any cure or permanent relief for this pain.  There is constant pain in the inside corner of my left eye (nerve ending) and eyebrow, also pain, itching and stinging in my before mentioned scalp area.  I do not want to take and be hooked on drugs for the rest of my life.  I have tried and used almost everything I would like to know if there is an alternative to drugs.  I have had the usual eye problems caused from shingles, including cataract surgery. My vision is good with the exception of poor peripheral vision. Is there any real hope for me or am I going to have to just live with what I have.    
Understand that there is no cure, unfortunately.  Possible treatments include drugs like Lyrica and Neurontin - and I'm not a fan of either one.  I would consider alternative treatment like nutritional therepies for chronic pain, exercise, accupuncture, yoga and meditation.   I'm sorry but you have a chronic pain syndrome that is often quite difficult to treat.  My personal advise is the avoid drug treatments if at all possible.

MJK MD
Dear Oran,
The pain following herpes infection is very severe and can be disabling.  There are oral medications which can be used to treat the pain as well topical medications. The following types of medicines can be used to treat the pain, such as antidepressants, anticonvulsants such as neurontin or lyrica, pain killers and sometimes, topical anesthetics over the skin.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

Thank you very much for your answer to my questions.  I appreciate the information.  I probably should have been more specific concerning my previous treatments.  This is my first time using this format and I was not sure how the responses would work.  as I stated before I have had this PHN for the past four and a half years.  After the initial treatment of anti-viral drugs and injections for pain,  I tried almost everything available such as Neurontin, Gabrepentin, Tergretol, Lyrica, Tramadol, and on and on.  All of them provided some pain relief but they kept me in a stuper and I could not function very well.
My brain was in a fog.  I would rather live with the pain than to not know, if I was coming or going. On a pain scale from 1 - 10, my constant pain level is probably around 3 - 4 It never lets up, it is a 24 hour thing.  Sometimes it is a little worse and sometimes it is a little better, but for the most part is is a constant 3 - 4  I have also tried accupuncture, Infra-red treatments, pain management w/ nerve block injections in my eyebrow and forehead areas.  I have also tried several topical creams, lidocaine patches and creams