Eye Care Expert Forum
Shingles and eye pain

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Shingles and eye pain
I was diagnosed with shingles on my left fore head and scalp 2 weeks ago and am taking Acyclovir.  I now have severe eye pain in my left eye.  Do I need to see an eye doctor or is the Acyclovir all I need?  
You absolutely need to see an EyeMD Ophthalmologst.  About 40% of the time in my practice, when shingles (varicella zoster virus) is around the eye, it gets in the eye and causes long term inflammation, often with glaucoma, pain and reduced vision.  Often the inflammation can last a year or more and can cause serious eye problems.

MJK MD
A related discussion, Eye Shingles was started.