Eye Care Community
Shooting head pains, eye pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Shooting head pains, eye pain

I have been experiencing random shooting head pains and pain behind my eyes for about 8 weeks.  These pains may last up to 10 seconds and then diminish.  I don't have any other symptoms...just shooting pain in the back of the head that sometimes crosses the top of my head.  Sometimes I also feel a pain in the base of my skull when I yawn.  I had an MRA and it came back normal.  I also had an eye exam and my vision is perfect.  I suffered from West Nile Virus well over a year ago and did not have these symptoms then.  My doctor is saying stress is the problem and put me on a mild anti-anxiety medication but I don't feel it is stress related.  I did take the medication but it hasn't helped at all.  Any ideas?

Check out occipital neuralgia. The occipital nerves provide sensation to the back of your  head. You could have some irritation of either nerve (there are two, one for the left side of your head and one for the right side). Usually doctors can numb the nerve with an injection, and a chiropractor can help as well.

Me too!   I had West Nile w/encephalitis in Aug 07.  I was incapacitated at that time for about 2 weeks with the blinds duct tapes to the wall to keep all the light out. I couldn;'t read or watch tv.   Bad memories, what there is of them.    Anyway, now I still have the eye pain and head pain that I had with WNV.  Its not a debilitating as it was then, but its enough that I end up taking precription meds almost every day.  I hardly ever read any more and have alot of trouble with lights.  I'm searching for answers to right now and will go check out occipital neuralgia.   If I do find something helpful I'll come back and post about it.  Good luck to you.
My husband started on a antidepressant. And it didnt help at all. Now he is on Tegratol and Baclafin. But he still has pain. They have told him there is really nothing else medicine wise they can do. They can go in and kill the nerve. 1/2 of his face goes numb and he has sharp stabbing pains. He tried a chriopractor. It helped some, but It came right back....
Good Luck