Eye Care Community
Shot In The Eye With A BB Gun

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Shot In The Eye With A BB Gun

Yesterday i got shot with a plastic bb from about 30 feet away. I was at the ER within 1 hour and the doctor put in eye drops and said i had bleeding in the "inner chamber". Thankfully, i had no scratches on my cornea but all i see is white. Its been about 16 hours and ive opened my eye a few times to check. It's like looking through a white t-shirt. I mostly see white but i can make out what Im looking at. when i told the doctor he didnt seem to care. He said all i need to do is rest it. Is he right? Do i need more examinations? i have eye drops to put in every 12 hours and pain killers. Please help.
`I suspect, but can not know for sure, that you have a "hyphema".  read about that using a search engine. you have a very serious eye injury and you may have more damage in the back of the eye such as a vitreous hemorrhage, retinal detachment, optic nerve or macular damage. You have unfortunately learned how important eye safety is. I cannot answer your other questions as only your eye MD ophthalmologist can and no one at this time can tell you what your recover will be nor if you have other injuries in the eye.

REMEMBER: your most important eye is the uninjured eye. that will need to be tested soonor or later to be sure it has no pre-injury problems. you need to lead a healthy lifestyle and avoid all activities that have eye injury potential. You need to talk to your eye MD about wearing glasses to protect the good eye if the injured eye does not recover good vision.

People reading these posts. Almost 95% of eye injuries can be prevented with proper eye protection for eye injury type activities and "not doing dumb things" (like smashing a glass bottle with a hammer).

JCH MD