Eye Care Expert Forum
Should I get this Rx filled?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Should I get this Rx filled?

I'm a 70 year old woman.  About 15 years ago I had lasix surgery to correct my extreme nearsightedness.  One eye was corrected for close work, the other for distance.  Eventually I needed glasses with a  little correction  for night driving and close work. I have been happy with my glasses.  Last month I went to have an annual eye checkup.  The doctor said that the glasses were fine, except that he would increase the correction for reading a little and that the  next time I get new glasses I should get this new prescription. I compared the old and new Rx.  The two-year old prescription for the old glasses is

OD +1.25 -1.00   129
OS -.75  -.75   073
+225
The new prescription is
OD -0.25+0.75 045
OS -1.50 +1.00 170
+2.50
If I don't need new glasses right away, I'm fine with that, but these two Rx look so different that I'm confused. Are these two Rx  as different as they look to me?
No they are slightly different.  One is in minus cylinder notation and the other is in plus cylinder notation.

HV