Eye Care Expert Forum
Side effects after catarats with Toric lenses

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I had cataract surgery on Jul1 and 8. I had toric lenses implanted to correct for astigmatism and vision. Surgery went well in both eyes. After one week the left eye felt that I had something in my eye. Doctor said everything is fine. I still feel that something is in my eye three months later. Is this normal. Also this eye tears all the time. I can not ride a bicycle with my left eye open because the wind causes the eye to hurt and tear. Can the growth form in my eye (secondary cataract) that quick? I have to be very careful when I drive. I can not trust my eyes to see clearly. I look both ways before pulling out in traffic but sometimes I don't see clearly. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bill
Go ahead and have the surgeon take a look at you and find out why your vision is suboptimal.  That is his job and you need to know what is going on.  Yes PCO can form this early but you could also have residual astigmatism (most likely) or other refractive error, dry eyes, corneal dystrophy, retinal problems or other things.  The irritation is likely dry eye problems or maybe lid margin disease or even a recurrent erosion.
Just a suggestion for bike riding:  Get a set of decent quality sports sunglasses with interchangeable lenses, including a clear lens, and use them all the time for biking.  I started doing that when I got contacts, but now I don't understand why every cyclist doesn't wear eye protection.  The wind will dry out your eyes, and a little bit of dust in the eye at the wrong time can cause a spill.

They may set you back $120-$150 (or more), but they're worth it.  With the interchangeable lenses, you can wear them in all lighting conditions, even night riding with a clear lens.  Depending on the sort of biking you do and what sort of case comes with the sunglasses, you might need to get a separate container to carry the interchangeable lenses.