Eye Care Expert Forum
Side effects from cataract surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Side effects from cataract surgery
Since my cataract surgery over two months ago.  My eye lid seems to not retract as much as the other eye giving it a sleepy look to it.  I still have flickering in my side vision.  There is also a fine black line in the side vision of that eye. Is there any hope of my eye returning to normal again. I am not only concerned about the look of the sleepy eye.  I drive a school bus and a sponser called my boss saying they where concerned because I looked like I was falling asleep.  Is there anything that can be done for this.  
You may have ptosis (droopy eyelid) due to stretching of the levator aponeurosis of the upper eyelid.  This usually happens as a natural aging process, but sometimes the eyelid speculum used to hold the eyelids open during cataract surgery can increase the amount of ptosis.  It can be fixed with a very simple, rapid recovery, eyelid surgery called a ptosis repair.  I would find an eye med ophthalmologist who specializes in oculoplastic surgery.  Check out aao.org and go to the find a physician area - look for someone who does cosmetic and reconstructive surgery or eyelid surgery.

As far as the black line in side vision - among other things, you may be getting a slight reflection of the edge of the implant.  There may not be much to do about this symptom - but you will be get used to it after time and not notice it as much.  Make sure you tell your surgeon all about it - and make another appointment to have it checked out.  Also mention the droopy eyelid.

MJK MD
A related discussion, surgery side effects was started.
A related discussion, bad cataract surgery was started.
A related discussion, lights after cataract surgery was started.
A related discussion, I too see black lines in my vision was started.
A related discussion, dry eyes and sebum was started.