Eye Care Expert Forum
Side-effects of Laser Treatment of Retina for Lattice Degeneration

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I am 22 years old. I was diagnosed of lattice degeneration during my annual eye tests. Last time I visited a new doctor & he adviced me to undergo some kind of a Laser treatment of the retina. Truly speaking, I'm scared. Can u please tell me the problems or Side effects of this Laser treatment? Would I be able to become normal again?
Dear Aviroop,

Not all lattice degeneration requires laser treatment.  Laser is done to seal the edge so that the retina does not detach and is usually indicated if there is traction near a hole in the l attice and you have symptoms.  Find out from your eyeMD the benefits and risks of such therapy.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California