Eye Care Community
Silicon Oil / Cataract surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Silicon Oil / Cataract surgery

I had a Retinal Detachment. I have had silicon oil in my eye for 4 weeks. My vision in that eye has become misty for about 3 weeks. I have been told by the surgeon I am developing a cataract  The surgeon wants to do cataract surgery next week  the same time he takes the oil out.

I'm not sure whether I want him to fix my cataract as there are eye drops which have proven to disolve the cataract without surgery which wud be a safer option.

Even though my best friends dad is evidence that the eye drops can cure a cataract, the surgeon completly dismissed them and said he never heard of them.

After mentioning the drops, the surgeon now says he cant remove the silicon oil without fixing the cataract because he wont be able to see what he is doing.

He also says that oil can only be left in the eye 3 months max yet reading the internet people have had oil in for much longer??

If the cataract is in its early stages then why can't he see what he is doing?

Im convinced he has a bias opinion and not sure what to do.
If i were you, i would get rid of the cataract and remove the silicon oil. I have never heard of eyedrops to dissolve cataracts, but i do believe you. Dont worry about the cataract surgery, and the risks of it. The procedure is very simple, especially if it still is in its early stages. You dont want it to get bigger as that would cause more problems and make your vision worse. I know 3 people, including myself, who has had successful cataract surgeries. All they do is numb the eye and it takes only about 15 min. (your case is going to be different since they also are removing the silicon oil) It also is very possible that the cataract is in the way to get the silicon oil out. I had a gas bubble put in instead (for the same reason, detached retina) and they had to get rid of my cataract before they could put the gas inside. It probably is the same situation.
Good luck!
I would get another opinion.  My understading is the cataract needs to be a certain size before removal.   I have one for a number of years and have been told its too small to remove.   What is teh name of the drops to remove cataract??  Why do you have silcon oil in your eye?
1. There is not drops or pills that disolves cataracts or makes them go away.
2. You would generally be well advised to take the cataract off at the time of the retinal oil removal. You will have to have a cataract operation sometime soon anyway. If possible put IOL in.
3. Ifyou want a secon opinion that's fine but I will bet it will be to take the cataract off at the time of the oil removal.

JCH III MD
Thx for the advice.

The cataract is a common side effect of having silicon oil in my eye which was put their to fix my retinal detachment. Now the detachment has healed the oil has to be removed. Before the oil can be removed the cataract has to be taken out so the surgeon can see what he is doing.

The drops are called bright eyes (www.ethosplan.com)  My friends dad took them after seeing them on tv as he had a cataract for years and couldnt see out of that eye. After 6 months of taking the drops his cataract has gone and his vision has come back.   This is what I wanted to try rather than have the cataract surgery but it appears that may not be an option for me now.

My main concern now is which IOL lens to get put into my eye. Plus the surgeon has to guess the power of the lens I need becuase having oil in your eye means he cannot get an acurate reading.

Is it possible to remove the cataract and take the oil out without putting a new IOL in straight away?  

That way being measured up at a later date without silicon oil in my eye would be more accurate?

It would also give me time to choose the correct IOL for my lifestyle, hence not restricted by what my current NHS surgeon can offer.