Eye Care Expert Forum
Skin in the Corner of my eye is red and swollen

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

My problem started yesterday morning. I put my contacts in as I always do (have used the same contact solution for about two years now) and my eye started burning very badly. It finally stopped after alot of watering so I continued to wear them throughout the day. I took them out that evening and noticed my eye was really irritated and kind of tender on the inside. Now today my eyeball is normal colored but the inside corner of my eye, the little "ball" of skin and the sking around that is very swollen, red and tender. It constantly feels like there is what my daughter calls "eye boogers" in the corner of my eye but when I go to get it out there's nothing....its just swollen. I have not put my contacts back in but have been putting some drops in that my daughter used for pink eye a few weeks ago. What is this going on with my eye and will these drops help or make it worse.
You should be under the care of an optometrist or ophthalmologist for regular contact lens care. You need to see that person to evaluate the problem. It in likely the contact lens so don't put them back in.

Everyone wearing a contact lens needs an annual exam by an optometrist or ophthalmologist. A two year old contact is like a 90 + year old person REALLY OLD AND LIKELY NEEDS REPLACING.

JCH III MD
I saw my optometrist this morning and he said I do not have pink eye and do not have an infection. He believes I am having an allergic reaction to my contact solution. The swelling and irritation didnt go away because I've been using eye drops that were expired and not for the problem I was having. He prescribed an antibiotic drop as well as a drop to get rid of the swelling and inflamation (inflammation). Wish I would have went to see him two days ago. I cannot put my contacts back in until this clears up completely and I can no longer use Clear Care contact solution. He has switched me to something else similar but different. Thank you!