Eye Care Expert Forum
Small, random bright flash in center of vision field

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Hello community.

For approximately 2 years, I have been experiencing an annoying eye symptom.

Randomly throughout some days I will experience a very small bright flash of light in the center of my vision. This 'flash' is only about a few millimeters in diameter, and lasts less than a second.

Occasionally I will also experience a longer duration (under 2 seconds) 'flash' that moves in a random direction, less than a centimeter from its original position. It is also bright and very small.

I have not been able to find anything like these symptoms in all of my research. The condition has not worsened but is annoying.

Let's start there. Thank you..
I'm going to give you the short version.  Flashes can be a symptom of a retinal tear, retinal detachment or a vitreous detachment, so it is extremely important that you see an ophthalmologist asap to have an evaluation for that.  If everything looks totally normal then you may have some obscure situation like pressure phosphenes or other conditions that rarely have any dangerous implications.  Again, see an ophthalmologist for a complete evalauation right away.

MJK MD
Generally, flashes of light are something you want to have an opthalmologist check out.  It could be insignificant, but you sort of indicate this started rather suddenly just two years ago (not something you've had all your life, right?).  I'd make an appoint with a doc.