Small optic Nerve
We took my 10-month-old son for an eye exam today and were told that he had small optic nerves.  At this point, the recommendation was to see an endocrinologist and possible MRI scan.  Can you provide more information?  What does this mean for future vision issues?
With small children, every word we say can mean so much.  I strongly recommend you speak with your pediatrician and ophthalmologist to get your information for the source most familiar with your son's case.  It sounds like they suspect some degree of optic nerve hypoplasia but it is way to early to make any assumptions or comments from my perspective.  I'm sorry I can't be more help.

MJK MD
Dear corieann,

Until a more definitive diagnosis is made, it is difficult to give you more helpful information.  Sometimes, small optic nerves can result from improper development and may be associated with mild or severe visual loss.  Try to take one step at a time in this process and ask many questions of your doctors.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.