Eye Care Expert Forum
Sodium Hydroxide in eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Sodium Hydroxide in eye
I was using Lysol toilet bowl cleaner today and got a bit careless with it. Some of it splashed onto the tip of my nose and I washed my entire face immediately with some water. Lysol's toilet bowl cleaner contains Sodium or Potassium Hydroxide, so it's pretty corrosive when it comes in contact with eyes.

I'm now concerned about whether or not I got any in my eye when I was washing it off my face. I don't feel a burning or stinging sensation, but would it still be harmful in a quantity that doesn't cause any visible irritation? Most importantly, would it in any way weaken the eye's scelera and/or alter the eyeball shape?

My vision is extremely important in my occupation, and I wouldn't want this little incident to affect it in the slightest.
If by now you do not have redness, pain, blurred vision you do not have a problem. If you do then see an eye MD. Find one near you at www.aao.org

JCH MD