EYE CARE
COMMUNITY
Sore, puffy, dry, red eyelids... Help needed, as my pharmascist is the definition of useless!
by onix600, Nov 14, 2007
Apologiies in advance for this crazily long post- perhaps if I had forced my pharmacist to read all of this, he might have actually been helpful.....

For the last few weeks I have been suffering from incredibly sensitive eyes/eyelids which are red, dry and sore, similar to sunburn. I initially thought it was because of some cheap make-up remover wipes that I used to take off my mascara. Although I had been using them for a while, they soon started to sting and burn the area around my eyes whenever I used them. The use of any eye make-up other than mascara would result in a stinging sensation, which varied in terms of severity. Moisturiser and even baby-lotion would burn my skin. Since then however, I have been using some Garnier make-up wipes, made for sensitive skin and the problem seemed to get a bit better, although eyeshadow was still strictly off-limits. But then, last Sunday, my eyes had gone back to their previous state, of being very red and sore. I hadn't worn any make-up or used any products on or near my eyes at all on Sunday, so I'm confused as to what caused it to return.

On Monday and Tuesday, several people commented on the state of my eyes, especially the right one, which seemed to be in a worse condition. My eyelids were dry and painful to touch, especially in the corner and it was continuously weeping, until yesterday afternoon when it seemed to heal up to the point where it looked sore, but no longer felt it.

And then today- my awful eyes are worse than ever. While my actual eyes are fine, my eyelids are large,  puffy and as per usual- RED. My left one was expectionally bad, where it was almost hard to keep open. Since the day has gone on, they've somewhat improved, although they remain puffy and red.

One more thing- it may or may not be related but yesterday morning I woke up with a dry, red, sore patch of skin around the left corner of my mouth. When covered up with makeup, it's not so bad, but still notciable and sometimes itchy. I put on some E45 cream today, as I thought this would help, but I think it made it worse as it started stinging and burning almost immediatley. I never had this before, only since the problem has returned to my eyelids. Related, perhaps?

What is going on with my evil, crazy eyes?! I look awful, as I'm very pale and the contrast between my pale face with the random red patch near my mouth and my dry, puffy eyelids makes me resemble something out of a horror film... :( Any ideas of what the problem could be or how to fix it? Or has anyone else suffered similar symptoms? All help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Alex.
Member Comments (277)
The list of things that might cause this is extensive and long. Dry eyes, eye or eyelid infections, blepharitis, thyroid eye disease, corneal problems, allergies, eyelid abnormalities to name a few.

You will need to make an appointment with an Eye MD physician-ophthalmologist to work through the causes.

While waiting you can use warm compresses to the eye and get some Refresh-PM which you can apply to the eyelids and eyes at bedtime to moisturize them and for day time use preservative free artificial tears (they come in individual twist top vials).

JCH III MD
by onix600, Nov 16, 2007
Thanks for your help. I always thought it would be unlikely that anyone would be able to say, "THIS is the problem & THIS is how you fix it....", but it was worth a shot.
Incidently, my eyes have improved hugely over the last 24 hours after the use of some eye drops... I'm thinking it might have been blepharitis as the eye drops I used were supposed to heal it.
Thanks again.

Alex.
You are welcome, glad things are better.

JCH III MD
by cdaley, Sep 15, 2008
I'm having the exact problem you described (including the use of eye makeup remover wipes, down to the red patch on the 'right' corner of my mouth). I've been doing the hot compresses on my eyes and using Cetaphil lotion on my dry patch and eyelids. The dry patch is gone now, but the sore eyelids remain. Did you ever get a diagnosis from a doctor??
-
by Anna1978uk, Nov 03, 2008
I am having the same problems you describe Alex. It came on from nowhere, I am 30 and have been wearing make up every day for 15 years and for the last 12 months my eyelids have been getting progressively worse. I also have a random 2cm diameter dry patch of skin on my cheek.

People are work have started to comment on my eyes which is starting to get to me. I am still wearing make up and eye shadow, mainly to cover it up but I am starting to believe its eyeshadow (although this doesn't explain the dry patch on my cheek). I am bridesmaid for two of my friends next May 09 and I really want to get it sorted out - I look like something out of Thriller with zero make up on! Its starting to affect my confidence.

I can't think it is any different products I am using, my doctor has only prescribed me Alphaderm steriod cream but that just burns (when it gets in my eye) and makes the skin custy. I will do the above but what is causing this to us all?!!
-
by mysoulheloves, Nov 12, 2008
I don't wear makeup at all and use only Eucerin skin care products and still have this same problem (ie - I don't think it has anything to do with makeup).  It seems to come on every year when the weather changes.  It seems a bit allergy related for me as I notice I also have a bit of nasal drainage.  But I don't know of any kind of antihistamine eye cream.  I goop on the moisturizer at night but it doesn't seem to really help with the redness.  I've had this problem for years.  My last attempt to get help the guy at the front desk at my eye doc told me to see a dermatologist.  So the search continues.  
by ladytalking, Nov 12, 2008
Why blame the pharmacist? He or she is not an MD.