Aa
A
A
Close
Spasm of accommodation only when eyes are closing at night
For about the last 5 years, since the birth of my last child by c-section and the start of my fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue, sometimes when I lie in bed at night and close my eyes, they start to cross.  I feel this pain in my eyes and when I open them, they are crossed as if trying to focus on the end of my nose.  Opening my eyes usually helps but sometimes it's so uncomfortable the only thing I can do is look side to side and then they go back to normal.  Sometimes this can last as long as 5-30 minutes. I just close my eyes and keep moving them back and forth every 10 seconds or so.  What could be the cause of this and should I be concerned?  Both my doctor and my eye doctor said they've never heard of this before and laughed it off.  
Cancel
9 Answers
Page 1 of 1
233488 tn?1310696703
You might have spasm of accommodation or uncorrected latent hyperopia. I would suggest you try and arrange to see a neuro-ophthalmologist. If you live in USA find one near you t www.geteyesmart.org
JCH MD
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Thank you very much for your quick response.  I do live in the US.  Thank you for the list.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
233488 tn?1310696703
best of luck  JCH MD
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
I was reading a little bit more into this.  I am very near sighted and have had a -3.25 contact prescription for about 15 years.  I also suffer from severe dry eye.  Sometimes it feels like my eyeballs are swollen and the eye doctor did see slight bulging, but didn't go into it further.  Does this affect what I should be talking to the neuro-ophthalmologist about?

Also, I was prescribed cyclobenzaprine for muscle stiffness and spasms. Do you think it would help to take one before bed?

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
233488 tn?1310696703
What is your age?   It is possible that your contact lens is over correcting your myopia.

JCH MD
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
I am 38 years old.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
233488 tn?1310696703
I would suggest you see a neuro-ophthalmologist and that you not wear your contacts for 2-3 days before seeing the Eye MD.  Ask that a "post cycloplegic refraction be done"  

It could be that the true amount of myopia you have is -2.25  the to see clear you would be doing an extra 1 diopter of focusing (to reduce your -3.25 to the needed -2.25  that could cause spasm of accommodation.

To determine this you would need to go without contacts for several days and have the refraction (glasses test) done after using a drop like cyclogel or 3 sets of mydryicil  to relax your focus muscle (ciliary body)

JH MD
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Ok, I will print this out and take it with me. Thank you very much Dr. Hagan.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
233488 tn?1310696703
Let us know how things turn out
JCHMD
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources