Eye Care Expert Forum
Special care for Sjogren's patients

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Special care for Sjogren's patients
Do I need to find an eye surgeon who specializes in Sjogren's Syndrome (or very dry eyes) to do my cataract surgery?  How would I go about finding one in the Dallas TX area?  Are there any special considerations for cataract patients who have very dry eyes?  Thanks.
Prior to cataract surgery, you should be on Restasis eye drops for 3-4 months, as well as Omega 3 (fish oil), to try to improve your eyes' natural tear production.  After that, if your eyes are still dry, a punctal plug can be placed in the tear drainage ducts to try to increase the tear level on the eyes.  If you use artificial tears more than 4 times a day, use preservative-free artificial tears.  Stephen Pflugfelder MD is a dry eye expert in Houston (888) 562-EYES.  He should be able to recommend an expert cataract surgeon in your area.