Eye Care Community
Spider Web Vision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Spider Web Vision

I have just been to an optician here in France and been told that having spiders webs in front of my eyes is no problem and I will have to get used to it.  It is very annoying and disturbing especially as I now have difficulty in reading road signs when I am driving.  Only see them when they are virtually on top of the car.

Can anyone advise as I am so worried.

Heather
I had that happen to me suddenly in March, eye surgeon told me it would go away on it's own, and I need no treatment.  10 days later I had retina detachment.  Sudden onset of spider webs might be a sign for more severe problems later.  Check with another eye specialist.
Your problem is called vitreous floaters.   In older people the problem is often caused by posterior vitreous detachment PVD   You can use the search feature and archives to read about these.

Then go to Google IMAGES and type the terms in to see what they look like

There is no cure or treatment for them. Usually your brain learns to "tune them out"

JCH MD
What about detached retina? I had a couple of white flashes in my left eye about a year ago, then I noticed floaters which developed into spider web in sight. My vision did decrease in that eye, to the point of it looked to me like I was looking through a faint mist. I didn't have insurance, or money, and no free clinics would look into that. Now my right eye suddenly sees  a thin silver strand in the out corner of the right eye, when I move my eyes, and there is pronounced spider webbing, and vision in that eyes is a little blurry. I see a huge aura around approaching lights until they are very close, and it's harder to read my computer monitor because of the blurriness of light.
This is an old thread.  Repost your question as a new thread for a response from one of the forum doctors.

In your place, I'd waste no time seeing a retinal specialist, even if it meant a month of eating peanut butter sandwiches and Ramen noodles.
Doctor,

What about moving a bit forward? Stop talking about some "tune them out" theory and start to develop some "get them out" theory!

All of us would be very thankfull!