Eye Care Expert Forum
Split/Spinning Vision

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Split/Spinning Vision

I have been having split vision with out headaches that last 20 sec to 5 minutes, but most recently I have had two spinning vision episodes.  The split vision seems to be caused by the left eye, but the spinning was equal in both eyes and I could not stop it or close one eye with out the other also spinning
These are symptoms that require a full medical investigation. You should start by seeing an Eye MD physician-ophthalmologist. Your family physician can arrange a consultation or you can go to www.aao.org and find one in  your area. when you schedule your appointment ask to have a visual field test also scheduled.

After you see the eye MD ophthalmologyst you may need blood tests, heart tests, circulation tests and head scanning (MRI/MRA). You may need to see other types of specialists. It is important to follow through as these symptoms might be due to disease of the heart, brain, blood vessels, inner ear or a migraine equivalent.

If you are over 40, smoke, have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, a family history of heart disease, stroke or neurological (stroke for example) disease or you are female and on birth control pills it makes it even more important.

JCH III MD
I was thinking BPPV as I'm in good shape, don't smoke or drink, 5'6" - 150lbs, but I fullly plan to get checked out from your advice
I cannot keep up with all the acronyms. What does BPPV stand for?

JCH III MD
BPPV stands for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (inner ear disturbance caused by the movement of otoconia--calcium carbonate crystals--that break off the utricle and get into a semicircular canal where they don't belong). It can be easily cured with canalith repositioning maneuvers, aka Epley maneuver.

I have never heard of "split vision" being part of BPPV. What exactly do you mean by "split vision"?

And what do you mean by "spinning eyes"?

BPPV causes dizziness of a sort that makes it seem as if the world is spinning around you or jerking back and forth (or up and down, in one episode that I had). BPPV is provoked by certain changes of head position, most often turning over in bed, getting up from a lying position, lying down, looking up, looking down, or tipping your head sideways. Five minutes would be awfully long for a BPPV episode.

Good luck finding out the cause. I certainly wouldn't assume this is BPPV--get it checked out, as the doctor advises, and I would do it as soon as possible!

Nancy T.
Tks
----------------------
A related discussion, spinning vision was started.