Eye Care Expert Forum
Sports Related Eye Injury

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Sports Related Eye Injury
Hello, I'm seeking treatment for an eye injury I sustained at the age of twelve some 20 years ago.  I have a small blind spot in the macula vision of my left eye, a macular hole with scar tissue.  It's preventing me from moving forward in my current career and I'm in need of seeking its repair.  At the time it was sustained my doctors told me there was nothing that could be done.  Certainly things have changed in these technological times we live in today, hence my reaching out.  Is there anything that can restore my vision, stem cells, etc and if so do you have any recommendations?  Thank you for your time, I look forward to your response.
Unfortunately, macular holes that are that old have a poor track record for visual rehabilitation.  Go see a retina specialist.  It may be worth the risk to have a membrane peel performed with gas bubble and see if it imporves the vision at all if the hole closes.  If you have a tremendous amount of scar tissue though, it may not be possilble.
HV