Staar Collamer Aspheric Lens
I have been researching lenses preparatory to cataract surgery. The Staar lens interests me because it is said to repeal protein and, presumably, opacification. Has anyone had experience with this lens? I can't find information on a downside, but every lens seems to have one. And what is the differenced between a 1-part and a 3-part lens? I have the beginnings of macular degeneration in my left eye and acuity is 20/100 for the left, and 20/50 for the right. No astigmatism. I am 80 years old and in excellent health.
I meant to say, "repel protein."
I stopped using it due to a high incidence of posterior capsular opacification. It is not used much by most surgeon I know.

Dr. O.
Once again, many thanks.
Hi Dr. Oyakawa, does this mean that the staar lens (Nanoflex?) have a higher incidence of posterior capsular opacification?
I was told that if I went with the nanoFLEX I would most likely have PCO and within a few weeks the opacification did form. I had the YAG laser treatment to break up the back of the capsule three months after my cataract lens replacement. The laser was painless and cleared up the issue. I do have a floater that decided to hang around from the pieces they blasted with the laser but supposedly this doesn't happen to everyone.
Supposedly they can't break up the floater in my eye because it is too far back and could cause damage to the retina. It drives me crazy sometimes but I do get used to it and start to not see it as much when I am busy living life and doing work. I had my other cataract taken out recently and they will be doing a YAG in a week or two. I hope there is no floater but I am betting there will be.

My surgeon used a blade and not a laser. He said the incision is so small that a laser really doesn't make a difference. The cut is also off to the side and doesn't usually cause visual issues (so I was told).
Dr. Oyakawa,

First, thank you for your generosity in participating in this forum and helping patients get their concerns addressed.

I am exploring replacement lenses for my upcoming cataract surgery, and am interested in learning more about the Staar Nanoflex monofocal IOL. Specifically, I'd like to know if it has a greater, lesser, or average risk of PCO compared to the Tecnis aspheric monofocal lens. Your August 8 2010 reponse to AllMyMarbles concerned her reference to a "Staar" lens but I can't tell if that is the Nanoflex, or another Staar lens.

Thanks again, Dr. Oyakawa!
Chris