Eye Care Community
Staar Collamer Aspheric Lens

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Staar Collamer Aspheric Lens

I have been researching lenses preparatory to cataract surgery. The Staar lens interests me because it is said to repeal protein and, presumably, opacification. Has anyone had experience with this lens? I can't find information on a downside, but every lens seems to have one. And what is the differenced between a 1-part and a 3-part lens? I have the beginnings of macular degeneration in my left eye and acuity is 20/100 for the left, and 20/50 for the right. No astigmatism. I am 80 years old and in excellent health.
I meant to say, "repel protein."
I stopped using it due to a high incidence of posterior capsular opacification. It is not used much by most surgeon I know.

Dr. O.
Once again, many thanks.
Hi Dr. Oyakawa, does this mean that the staar lens (Nanoflex?) have a higher incidence of posterior capsular opacification?
I was told that if I went with the nanoFLEX I would most likely have PCO and within a few weeks the opacification did form. I had the YAG laser treatment to break up the back of the capsule three months after my cataract lens replacement. The laser was painless and cleared up the issue. I do have a floater that decided to hang around from the pieces they blasted with the laser but supposedly this doesn't happen to everyone.
Is your doc going to break u the floaters with laser?  Did you have laser assisted surgery or blade only?  The reason I ask is that I haven't had cataract surgery yet and had been undecided about laser assist if  there's greater risks of leftover dangling bit of tissue (like floaters, for lack of better term)  with blade but also different risks from laser assist -- and   I just developed floaters in my worse eye which, from what I read, are not cause for concern about retinal tear unless I also see a flasher or black at the peripheral or if they increase but, of course, am having it looked at today.  My understanding (from Internet sites) is that lasering floaters will  risk more problems. and floaters can occur from old age -- am 69 --and that while sometimes they may fade away, I'm more likely stuck with what looks like a black bug darting across my desk or wall or floor, which is startling, along with a less obvious lighter cobweb-looking floater. (What's a cob?  lol)   So, from your experience,  I guess cataract surgery isn't going to remove the floaters and could add some?
Supposedly they can't break up the floater in my eye because it is too far back and could cause damage to the retina. It drives me crazy sometimes but I do get used to it and start to not see it as much when I am busy living life and doing work. I had my other cataract taken out recently and they will be doing a YAG in a week or two. I hope there is no floater but I am betting there will be.

My surgeon used a blade and not a laser. He said the incision is so small that a laser really doesn't make a difference. The cut is also off to the side and doesn't usually cause visual issues (so I was told).