Eye Care Community
Staar Collamer Aspheric Lens

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Staar Collamer Aspheric Lens

I have been researching lenses preparatory to cataract surgery. The Staar lens interests me because it is said to repeal protein and, presumably, opacification. Has anyone had experience with this lens? I can't find information on a downside, but every lens seems to have one. And what is the differenced between a 1-part and a 3-part lens? I have the beginnings of macular degeneration in my left eye and acuity is 20/100 for the left, and 20/50 for the right. No astigmatism. I am 80 years old and in excellent health.
I meant to say, "repel protein."
I stopped using it due to a high incidence of posterior capsular opacification. It is not used much by most surgeon I know.

Dr. O.
Once again, many thanks.
Hi Dr. Oyakawa, does this mean that the staar lens (Nanoflex?) have a higher incidence of posterior capsular opacification?
I was told that if I went with the nanoFLEX I would most likely have PCO and within a few weeks the opacification did form. I had the YAG laser treatment to break up the back of the capsule three months after my cataract lens replacement. The laser was painless and cleared up the issue. I do have a floater that decided to hang around from the pieces they blasted with the laser but supposedly this doesn't happen to everyone.