Eye Care Community
Standard IOLS near or distant choice

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Standard IOLS near or distant choice

First off I already know that toric is the best option for me but unfortunately we can not afford them (even with toric my astigmatism is so bad that toric would not correct it fully) So we are deciding to go with standard. But the dr wants or recommends the distant iols but I am used to having my near vision (I am thinking what I thought was aged related loss of near vision might have been the start of the cataract now in both eyes and VERY dense) His assistant actually seemed quite taken back that I would want the lenses for close vision and not the distant ones. It has been quite bit back and forth about the choice. What is the difference between near and distant lenses? does it matter which one to get? Will I need to bifocals if I get the distant lenses?  or is it based on life style as to lens to go with? I will need to wear glasses no matter what lens I get due the astigmatism being so bad. Does the astigmatism  factor into the choice of whether to get distance or near lenses?  Hope I explained my questions clear enough.  Thank you for any input.
Hello

One more question: standard monofocal lens can be set to near vision right? I am having a real hard time with the thought of the loss of my near vision. I don't do a lot of things requiring distant vision, most things I do require near vision.   I am so confused as to why my eye dr is pushing the set for distance.  Is it because that is what most people opt for?  I am going to NEED glasses no matter which option is chosen...I have needed glasses all my life for distant vision so I would just continue that after the surgery if I get the lens set for near vision right?  

Thank you for your time
In your case you will not have good near vision even if the IOL is set for near due to your astigmatism

Dr. O.
As Dr. Oyakawa states (above), you would not have great near vision even if your IOL were set for near.  On the other hand, your near vision after cataract surgery would probably be at least as good as your current near vision without glasses.  If this is your preference, then why not go for it?  It seems senseless to correct your vision according to someone else's preference.   Progressive glasses should give you good vision at all distances.