Eye Care Expert Forum
Static circular waves and losing vision.

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I had Lumbar fusion 4 months ago( L4 S1) and have been having strange vision problems since. I experience what I refer to as static circles that block out parts of my vision and then slowly drift to the left until they are no longer visible. I was able to read anything before I had this surgery and now find it very difficult at times to see the letters or numbers at all. When I brought this up to my Neurosurgeon at the 1 month post op visit, he said "hmm" and then told me to stop taking the Nuerotin that had been subscribed nerves pain. I have taken no medications, including pain medications since and my eyes are not getting better. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
You're going to have to see an ophthalmologist.  Your symptoms are vaguely suggestive of a visual migraine and sometimes  a transient ischemic attack can have transient loss of vision as a symptom.  I do not relate your symptoms to your back problems in any way.

MJK MD