Eye Care Expert Forum
Steam burn from dinner?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Steam burn from dinner?

Hi, is it possible to get a steam burn to the eyes from a hot meal that came out of a pressure cooker a moment earlier? I was leaning over the plate (about a foot above it) and then recoiled when I felt the steam. My eyes feel a little sore and might have been dry beforehand.
Yes it is possibly but generally it will heal farily quickly. In order to have a significant burn to the eyes from the steam, you would have severe burns to the eyelids and facial skin etc so it is doubtful that you had that.  It is possible  of course but would require a fairly significant amount of steam for a little bit of time.  Artificial tears should help for now. If pain or loss of vision develop see an ophthalmologist immediately.