Eye Care Community
Steroid IOP post ERM peel

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Steroid IOP post ERM peel

My sinus's feel funny after 2 weeks of being on steroid eye drops post Vitrectomy ERM peel surgery.

It feels like there is pressure building up above my teeth, behind my nose.  Might this be an indication that I am forming IOP from the steroid drops ?  I've been feeling OK until today...does this sound like a symptom or indication that the pressure might be raising ?  How can I know for sure.  

The standard Doctor prescription is for Predisolone drops 4x day for 3 wks post surgery and I am starting the third week.  Might I consider stopping the drops now ?
Do not stop the drops without consulting your surgeon. Call tomorrow.
JCH MD
Thank you Dr. Hagan,
Does those symptoms sound like it is possible my IOP pressure is up ?

Perhaps a better questions is , Are there any signs or indications or clues that one can feel to indicate a rise in pressure or any other complication ?
Only because I've been there already do I offer this advice to you:

Based on your series of questions both before and after your surgeries, I would recommend that you not continue to look for every little symptom that you can find.  You have undergone major eye surgery.  You are going to feel strange, see strange, and imagine even stranger things over time as you recover.  

I suggest you don't obsess, pay attention to what you doctors told you to look for, and let nature take it's course with the healing process.  Of course, if you see anything major like a new blindness, or new flashing, then call your doctor immediately.  Otherwise, just as I was, you are going to be hyper-sensitive to all the changes in your eyes, and it is only going to cause more anxiety as you lookup all the possible problems on the internet.

Just my .02.
That is great advice, thank you for that perspective.  I'm sure you felt the same frustrations and I do try to keep myself in check.

I also realize that I am doing a lot of research and are paying close attention to everything, but as you know from experience the Doctors do NOT give complete information about any aspect of this serious surgery or recovery.  We only get a short time to ask questions in the office and are left "hanging" in many regards.

Afterall, this is our eyesight...and little details that may seem little can often turn into huge long term problems if not caught on time.   The question then becomes, if the Doctors don't spend the time to educate us patients we have no other option than to research it ourselves.   That is why these forums are helpful.  

I hope that I am not abusing my share of questions, but I feel that they are not only helping me but all of the others going thru this, don't you agree ?
=