Eye Care Community
Steroids for eyes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Steroids for eyes

For the last 4-5 months I have had problems with my vision. At first I had a red spot in my eye.  i went to the eye doctor - no known etilogy- gave me steroid eyedrops.  it cleared up.  Much later I started having problems with the way things appeared.  I had a full eye check with visual field also.  I saw neurology also and everything was normal.  I am a newly diagnosed lupus patient but have been told there is no lupus involvement. I received IV steroids for a couple of days for my lupus and I noticed a change in my eyesight. (better)  I was put on 20mg of prednisone for 1 1/2 months and then I was put on 40mg prednisone for a week.  I noticed that my eyesight was getting better.  Personally I dont know if my eye problems have anything to do with the lupus.  But does anyone know why steroids can help your vision and possibly what other condition I could have that causes the eye problems and responds to steroids? Help.
I've recently used steroids prescribed after a trabeculectomy, or filtration surgery to relieve eye pressures.  While the operation produced good eye pressures, I've had a noticeable dulling of the eye that was operated on.  Several people I know who also had steroid drops prescribed have found dulling or blurring of vision.  One said she had to wait many months before the vision returned to her baseline, once she quit the steroid drops.  Use of steroids around and in the eyes is said to be tricky because of the steroids potential effect on the optic nerve.  I'd have the eye doctor do a pressure test, field test and an OCT of the optic nerve if I were in your position, just to be sure.    
Lupus can cause serious problems in the eye including optic neuritis and vasculitis. They could respond to steroids and make your vision better. It is very important for you to see an Eye MD ophthalmologist in the very near future.

JCH MD