Eye Care Community
Stinging, burning in eyes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Stinging, burning in eyes

Hi, I am getting a stinging, burning feeling in the outside corners of my eyes, mostly the left one.  I do have dry eye, and use the drops.  Can the drops be causing this?  I can't get to the eye doctor for two weeks.  Just wondering what to do or if anyone has any ideas.  My eyes aren't red or anything.
use the search feature and look up previous discusions of dry eyes.

make sure the " eye doctor" you are to see is a MD eye ophthalmologist and not an optometrist (non-MD).

JCH III MD
Thank you for your answer.  My eye doctor is and MD, he's very good.  It is probably from the dry eye, but I want to be sure.
I had cataract surgery on left eye great vision so had the right eye done. They broke the sack and it's like a snow globe except the debri is black. It has gotten better but I can still see back flecks and skin like tissue which blurs my vision in that eye. The left eye has a shadow at times and both eyes get a burning sensation. I have to decide the 11/19/2013 if I want to have surgery again to get this tissue out. I am gun shy now because this all seems experimental to me. I am in the 1% range in having the sack break. I am really losing trust with this facility and it is the largest one here.
No surgery (like no automobile trip) remains risk free even in the most skilled of hands. This is a point we make here regularly. The most common serious complications are rupture of the posterior capsule and vitreous loss.

When this happens the hard center (nucleus) and softer parts of the cataract (cortex) often "deep six" into the back of the eye. Large amounts have to be removed (vitrectomy and lensectomy) to prevent on going inflammation, possible glaucoma and permanent reduced vision or loss of the eye.

This surgery is not experimental. If you need get a second opinion ASAP. If this is what has happened to you then it is highly likely that removing the lost particles of the cataract is appropriate.

JCH MD