Eye Care Expert Forum
Strabismus, ambylopia, and hyperopia!

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Strabismus, ambylopia, and hyperopia!

As a kid I developed a squint, causing ambylopia and tried all to help but in the end surgery corrected the strabismus but I have always had ambylopia. I have got along ok until about five years ago at the age of 30 when a routine eye test showed I had hyperopia of about +5, I was told to wear glasses and it was like walking around with binoculars on! I couldn't handle it and was reduced to +2.5 glasses then 3.5 this is what I'm still on. My problem is that when in crowds or busy areas it is too much for my eyes and/or brain and it's like weird double vision. I do not get this problem when driving though, my brain tends to shut my lefyt(bad eye) off. But my real problem is before glasses my eyes were straight, now with glasses my left eye looks left quite noticeably. It's the same with contacts and I am left with a quite wonky left eye, so much so I now have the nickname chameleon! Ha! Ok I'm tough and go with it but it is bothering me because I hate glasses, always have and my vision is getting worse, and would love surgery again to straighten eye but do I need to go to full strength glasses first, then surgery? Ultimately I could live happy if I had to wear contacts but had a straight eye! What would happen to my eye/ vision after surgery? And would I be able to wear contacts? If there was a way of switching the brain on and getting the eye straight that way I would do it, like pre-glasses! But after 5 years of wearing glasses my eye sight has been weakend and those days are gone. I am very down about my eyes (poor sight, wonky left,and glasses,great) to be honest it's a pretty useless lefty at the mo. the brain tends to shut it off most the time! So anyone got any usefull help or ideas? Anything will be appreciated. Many thanks.
That difficult. You can't switch the brain back to the on position unfortunately. With the vision fully corrected in the amblyopic eye, how clear is the vision? If it's really clear, then you could try to "train" the eye with temporary (at home in a safe environment) patching the strong eye. I doubt this will help, but really that's it. Eye muscle surgery may be an option to straighten the eye especially since you are not describing double vision. The difference between the eyes is a problem and contacts plus glasses may help to make the image size presented to your retina more equal (anisokonia).