Eye Care Community
Strange Blurry/Ring in vision..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Strange Blurry/Ring in vision..

I'm curious as to what could be ausing this, It's happened before, sporatically, and very shortly, and only once before as noticeably and for so long.

As I was walking across the street last night, I noticed that there was a sort of green colored ring in my vision... It's shape, as close as i can describe it, was that of a donut... And, it was in both eyes. It started off as like, you know, half of a donut, then continued to almost "fill in" until it was a complete donut shape, with a small hole in the center. As i switched from one eye to the other, it was "filling in" at diffrent rates, but was in the same position overall.  I could see through it, it was just a sort of greenish cloudy tint. Once it was a fully shaped ring, it started to spread outwards from the center, until it covered the entire firld of my vision, and then i guess it just faded slowly, because it felt as if my vision returned to normal since.

Like i said, this happened, before, and the early parts, where i was only seeing a partial part of the ring, have happened numberous times, but, only once before has it lasted so long that the ring got totally filled in and then expanded over all of my vision... It was visible with my eyes closed also, much like it you stare at a light too long and it leaves its impression in your eye...

I know that this isnt te best description, but its the best i can do... I could draw it more descriptively.

I'm a 24 year old male, in pretty good physical health, I am a recovering Heroin Addict, and for about 6 or 7 years was Injecting Drugs.  Since getting clean, I have been paying attention to every health problem that i have in fear of some underlying damage that I have done to myself, (I.E. Stroke, or abscess, etc)
Come to think if it, I do feel a bit on a uncomfortable pain in my right eye when i itch it, ot apply ressure to it...

Should i go to a doctor? Or am i overreacting?
Yes go to an Eye MD ophthalmologist. What you describe could be a TIA (transient ischemic attack) due to disease of heart, brain, eye or blood vessels  OR could be an eye migraine.

Search and read about TIA and eye migraines.

Stay off illegal drugs and stop smoking.

JCH MD
This happened to me as well. Though I notice I get it when I rub my eyes and I start seeing what you mentioned 'the donut that fills up', but I do notice it's when my eyes are closed this happens (maybe disturbed as well - 'rubbing eyes')..

As I see the green glowing donut starting to fill, I notice that I 'focused' on it while having my eyes closed and it will start to complete. The funny thing about this is that I've been aware of this since I was a child and it has happened many times.

I cannot remember what always triggers it but one of them is when i rub my eyes. But if I'm not wrong I've gotten them when I get lightheaded with dotted darkened visions after running to fast too, then I get to see the donut too. I can't remember if my eyes are open or closed though.

Was interested to know if you got this when your eyes was open or closed and if there was anything you did to your eyes before that happened?
I do remember getting this as a child, I would rub and rub my eyes until i could see a ring clearly in both eyes.... but what i explained above was different.

It also comes with a very panicky feeling, which may just come from me getting scared about what's going on with me, but, I don't really know.

I haven't gone to a doctor about it, since it hasn't happened again, but I have read about Migrains, and decided that this is what it was - although, usually these are associated with headaches, which I do not have.... They say the "ocular migrain" is due to changes in blood flow to the part of the brain that affects vision. This is a good page describing what happens.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/ocular-migraine.htm

I believe Im in good health otherwise, and IM trying to not look up on the internet every time i have a pain or feel strange as i think this just makes the problem even worse....

hahaha.... Good luck.
=
I had what Billy experienced this morning.  It gradually went away.  I have also experienced what others were posting about rubbing eyes too harsh as a child.  Two different things.  This last for about 1 hour before going away.  Then I started getting a headache.  Could it be a migraine?  Or a sign of something worse?  I'm 30 yrs old & in good health.  No history of drug use and do not drink/smoke.
=